Sunday, June 27, 2010

mother-to-mother

The lesson in Relief Society today came from Elder Hales' Conference talk titled Our Duty to God: The Mission of Parents and Leaders to the Rising Generation. We had a really great discussion. I love those kind of lessons - where we get to learn from each other rather than be lectured to. I feel like I get to relish in a wealth of wisdom, experiences, and testimonies.



One mom shared how she strikes up the "after school" conversation with her kids. Instead of just asking how was your day or how was school, she asks:



What is the best thing that happened to you today?



What is the worst thing that happened to you today?



What is the funniest thing that happened to you today?




What a great way to keep the lines of communication open! Aha moment -- specific questions require specific answers. As I make this a daily practice, I hope that the take-home message to my kids will be: I'm interested in your life, I want what is best for you, I won't judge you, I love you.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online